Major Roles & Responsibilities
Purpose: The Billing Specialist -will maintain and control all patient accounts, demonstrating knowledge of billing practices, rules and regulations of all Third Party payers. The Billing Specialist - acts as a liaison between the patient and the hospital working with all patients accounts.
• Maintains and controls all patient accounts, demonstrating knowledge of billing practices, rules, and regulations of all Third Party payers.
• Demonstrates knowledge of Federal and State compliance regulations (Medicare/Medicaid).
• Communicates well both verbally and in writing, creates accurate and punctual reports, shares information and ideas with others, has good listening skills.
• Bills follow-ups and work accounts promptly and accurately.
• Skilled in the use of computers, adapts to new technology, keeps abreast of changes, learns new programs quickly, and uses computers to improve productivity.
• Demonstrates exceptional customer service and interacts effectively with physicians, patients, residents, visitors, staff and the broader health care community.
• Maintains payor logs..
• Applies and processes Charity/Financial Assistance according to hospital guidelines.
• Checks online systems for benefits coverage and works in collaboration with Care Managers and Department of Family Services.
• Processes self-pay accounts from a billing sending first letter and then send out to TSI.
• Standard office conditions with more than average noise. Periodic contact with conditions such as fumes, noise, chemicals, hazards, and or diseases.
Academic, Certifications, & Trade Qualifications
• Notary bond (or able to obtain)
• High School diploma or equivalent required. Additional training/schooling or directly related medical billing experience preferred.
Work Experience, Skills, and Strengths
• One year previous healthcare experience.. Must type 40 WPM and possess mathematical skills. Computer experience and knowledge of medical terminology preferred. Evident/CPSI experience is a plus.
• Ability to receive and express detailed information through oral communications, visual acuity, and the ability to read and understand written directions. Normal mental concentration with repetitive operations for a long period of time. Ability to stand, walk, sit, and reach. Occasionally lifts and transports items weighing up to forty (40) pounds.
Salem Memorial District Hospital
35629 Highway 72
Salem, MO 65560