Assistant Lab Director
Assistant Laboratory Director
Major Roles & Responsibilities
Purpose: This is a supervisory position, assisting the Department Director with the overall operation and administrative functions of the laboratory, using advanced scientific knowledge and skills.
• Applies advanced knowledge of scientific principles, theory and critical thinking skills to monitor, control and assess test results and conditions, specimen quality, chemical/biologic reactions and instrument function.
• Serves as a technical supervisor in all areas of the laboratory, identifying competency and educational needs of staff.
• Reviews lab statistics and trend reports to evaluate, improve and streamline daily operations and workflow.
• Assists with the comprehensive Quality Management System which includes standardized performance indicators, quality control program, equipment validation and maintenance, safety program, proficiency testing program and quality improvement.
• Maintains competency to provide patient testing in all areas of the lab.
• Serves as an active participant and member of committees, teams and special assignments.
• Demonstrates positive interpersonal skills in communicating with staff, patients, visitors and others in the community so that the organization is positively perceived.
• Participates in specimen collection when required according to test requested, either directly by venipuncture or skin puncture with minimal trauma to the patient.
• Follows regulatory requirements such as CLIA, HIPAA, OSHA, etc.
• Assists in writing, revising and maintaining appropriate policies and procedures for the department.
• Communicates in a professional and courteous manner with patients, family, co-workers and other medical personnel as necessary to share information concerning laboratory testing, status, results and clarification of orders.
• Provides technical guidance and instructions to physicians, lab employees, co-workers, students and other employees.
• Maintains sufficient inventory management of supplies and equipment for department.
• Assists in identifying training needs of department and providing continuing education resources.
• Keeps abreast of current trends and knowledge in the laboratory field through continuing education, scientific journals and newsletters.
• Other duties as required.
• Works indoors in a temperature controlled environment.
• May work in close proximity to others.
• Works with potentially infectious body fluids in a controlled environment on a daily basis.
• Performs some job functions under Biosafety level 2 conditions.
Academic, Certifications, & Trade Qualifications
• Bachelor's degree and completion of a NAACLS accredited Medical Laboratory Scientist or Technologist (MLS or MT) program OR the equivalent education and completion of a NAACLS accredited MLS/MT clinical training program that qualifies for national certification through the American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) or equivalent (e.g. AMT) required.
• Certification as a MLS or MT through the ASCP or equivalent required.
Work Experience, Skills, and Strengths
• Minimum of 5 years experience required with previous supervisory experience preferred.
• Must be able to qualify as a "technical supervisor" under the CLIA '88 Regulations in all areas of the laboratory.
• Previous skills working with a LIS and good office skills needed.
• Advanced knowledge and use of mathematics and statistics necessary for laboratory testing and reporting required.
• Demonstrates excellent problem solving skills with a high level of self-motivation.
• Good leadership skills with the ability to promote a good team environment to provide exceptional patient care.
• Excellent customer service skills and proper use of phone etiquette is necessary.
• Knowledge of IQCP required.
• Familiarity with CPT, LOINC, ICD-10 and SNOMED codes required.
• Ability to multi-task and work with frequent interruptions.
• High attention to detail with ability to make decisions, and give direction to employees.
• Phlebotomy skills required.
• Must be able to lift at least 20 pounds overhead, and move intermittently throughout the work day including standing, walking, sitting, lifting, turning, carrying, pushing, pulling, stooping, crouching, twisting, reaching.
• Must possess sight/hearing senses, along with the ability to see colors, or use prosthetics that will enable these senses to function adequately so that the requirements of this position can be fully met.
• Manual dexterity and fine motor skills are required for the performance of job duties.
• Must be able to read, write and speak the English language and carry out and interpret instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
• Required to wear and use personal protective equipment as needed.
The Ideal Candidate
• The ideal candidate has a friendly and compassionate personality with experience working in all areas of a clinical laboratory. Current microbiology skills a plus.
Position Type : Full Time
Salem Memorial District Hospital
35629 Highway 72
Salem, MO 65560