CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER
This position is responsible for the operation of the clinical ancillary departments at Salem Memorial District Hospital including but not limited to Cardiopulmonary, Dietary, Lab, Pharmacy, Radiology, and Rehabilitation Services. Person oversees hospital-wide marketing plan as well as day-to-day activities/planning of Hospital Foundation. Position is responsible for guiding staff members in effective performance of their job duties. Ensure continual effective operations and is responsible for the compliance of State and Federal regulations. Coordinates the planning, prioritization, and implementation of action plans to achieve annual goals, targets, and improvement metrics. Has primary responsibility for hospital-wide productivity standards.
MAJOR JOB OBJECTIVES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Organize functions in areas of responsibility through appropriate departmental delineation, delegation of duties, and prioritization of activities; maintain effective communication within and between all areas of accountability.
• Monitor overall productivity of respective areas of responsibility; improve productivity through consolidation of activities, delegation of functions, and/or implements alternatives in skill mix while ensuring competency of the care/service providers and without negatively impacting the quality of care/service.
• Assure hospital compliance with federal, state and local government laws and regulations, accrediting agency standards and hospital policies and procedures; medical staff rules and regulations; establishes, communicates and interprets hospital policy within areas of responsibility and recommends changes to the CEO.
• Coordinate financial management activities within respective areas of responsibility, including the development of annual budgets, variance analysis and monthly financial reports; develop annual capital budgets and cost benefit analysis for new and/or expanding programs and services; ensure that overall productivity of respective areas of responsibility continually improve through regular monitoring of systems, processes and delegation/streamlining of functions.
• Participate in the development of short-and long-term planning objectives which will ensure the continued growth of the hospital and the provision of necessary services to the community; implement plans as approved by the governing board.
• Assist in medical staff activities to include representation at medical staff committees as assigned, coordination and implementation of medical staff throughout the hospital and insuring appropriate medical staff input to internal hospital operational management issues and planning.
• Develop and implement programs which result in increased motivation and effectiveness of personnel; delegate to appropriate managers the daily management of such programs.
• Perform other duties as assigned
• General office environment
• General hospital environment
Academic, Certifications, Trade Qualifications & Experience
• Master's degree in affiliated area of responsibility, MBA or MHA
• Minimum 5 years' experience in progressive management responsibility in a health care setting.
• Effective written and verbal communication skills; able to communicate with various individuals both inside and outside the organization; and able to understand and create reports/presentations/proposals.
• Strong and genuine human relations skills, with a positive attitude and life style balance; high level of energy; intuitive, and a quick study. Genuinely believes in investing in people.
• Genuinely interested in teamwork and leadership; a style of management that is visible 24/7 and supports, motivates and enables the development of those reporting to him/her as well as other hospital colleagues. Possess a strong personality, able to work cooperatively with and supportive of other strong personalities.
• Strong analytical, organizational and communication skills, including active listening, written and presentation; asks candid/tough questions. Constructively discusses issues by inviting varied perspectives and facilitating consensus; comfortable in making quick decisions when necessary as well as in conflict management; innovative and creative.
• Knowledge of and experience with quality improvement principles, business and management techniques and principles, strategic planning, business strategy development, LEAN and project management.
• Working knowledge of hospital operations, economics and financing; community and public health is preferred. Knowledge of the local, state and national environment of health care is also preferred.
• High level of ethics and integrity; and demonstrated support for the principles of the organization is required.
• Understand physicians, their challenges and importance to the organization and community; supportive of physician success.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Word; Microsoft Excel; Microsoft PowerPoint; Microsoft Access; Microsoft Outlook
• Must be able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, and to generate technical reports and documents
• May be required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to fingers, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk and hear; and may taste and smell. The employee is regularly required to lift, push and/or pull weights in excess of 10 pounds, with assistance. Visual abilities, auditory abilities, must be intact to perform duties.
Salem Memorial District Hospital
35629 Highway 72
Salem, MO 65560